Zucchini Hash Brown Quiche
- 1 3⁄4 pound russet potatoes
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 – 2 TBL olive oil
- 1 TBL butter
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 c chopped red onion
- 4 eggs lightly beaten1 cup half and half or light cream
- 1⁄4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup shredded swiss
- 1 tsp all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 325. Peel and coarsely shred potatoes. Place in a large bowl, addenough water to cover potatoes. Stir well. Drain in a colander over sink. Repeat two or three times until water runs clear. Drain again pressing as much water as you can with a rubber spatula. Line a salad spinner with paper towels; add potatoes and spin. Repeat.
If necessary until potatoes are dry. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper; toss to combine.
2. In a 12” non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and the butter over medium high heat until butter forms. Add to the skillet, spreading into and even layer. Gently press with the back of a spatula to form a cake. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, without stirring, about 12 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and crisp.
3. Place plate over the top of the skillet. Carefully invert the skillet to transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet, slide the potatoes back into the skillet uncooked side down. Cook about 8 minutes more or until the bottom is golden brown.
4. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan or plate. Use the baking sheet to transfer hash browns to pie pan, pressing hash browns into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan.
5. In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside. Cook zucchini and onion in the reserved drippings over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender but not browned.
6. In a large bowl combine eggs, half and half, the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and the crushed pepper. Stir in bacon and zucchini mixture. In a small bowl combine cheese and flour. Add to egg mixture; mix well.
7. Pour egg mixture into the hash brown lined pie pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean,let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 (1 slice) servings.